Pre-treatment before applying the strip
- The surface needs to be 100% clean and dry. Also any glue or paint that is still on the tread needs to be removed.
- Without any good pre-treatment of the surface, the strip cannot be attached in the right way and in a matter of time it will start to move on the surface or totally release.
- Use a proper cleanser to thoroughly clean the area and use a degreaser such as alcohol to make sure the surface is totally free from dirt, oil, wax, etc. Smooth surfaces, such as travertin stone, need to be roughened a little bit.
- Please make sure after cleaning to whipe of the treads with water to make sure there is no cleaning residu left. Especially when you use a chemical cleaner. Before applying the strip, please wait untill the area is dry.
- The minimal temperature of the room should be 10° Celcius when applying the non-slip adhesive strip.
Wood - Painted or coated
The painted surface needs to dry for at least 5 days. After drying, please properly clean the area and use alcohol to get rid of oily substances.
The concrete surface should not be damaged in any way. Loose parts need to be removed or repared. Rough concrete surfaces always need to be treated with a primer.
Nature stone, flagstones & glass
Degrease thoroughly and rinse with clear water. Make sure the surface is dry enough, before applying the strip.
Wood natural, untreated
Remove any splinters, exfoliated paint and residues of glue before applying the non-slip adhesive strip.
Ungrease properly and rinse with perfect clear water. Make sure you give the surface enough time to dry before applying the stair tape.
Rust, corrosion and loose paint needs to be removed with sandpaper. After this, ungrease the surface properly.
Apply instruction tips
- Clean and degrease the surface according to the prescriptions.
- Cut the non-slip adhesive tape in the right length that will fit your tread.
- If you like you can cut the end of the strip in a nice curve with a scissors, or use a sharp knife to do this. It is a great idea to mark the surface, so you know where the strip needs to be applied.
- Primer the area if necessary.
- Remove a part of the protective layer at the back of the strip and try not to touch the glue layer with the fingers.
- Place the non-slip adhesive strip on the marked part of the tread or other area and slowly press the tape, piece by piece. In this way it is easier to get a beautiful sharp straight line. Patience is the keyword.
- Use a good strong roller to firmly press the strip onto the surface. In this way you can make sure the glue part will attach to the tread better and there will not be any airbubbles underneath the tape.
- Do not apply the non-slip adhesive strip on seams or joints.
- Don't walk on the strips for about two hours after applying the strip.
In case the strip will be exposed to moisture, it is best to give the strip some time to dry, about 24 hours after applying, before it can get in contact with big amounts of water.
In case the anti slip adhesive strip hasn't been applied like you wish and you are using a non primed surface or didn't use a roller yet to firmly apply the glue layer onto the tread, it is possible to easily pull it off and replace it as you wish. In case of the use of a primer this is not possible.
In case bubbles stay underneath the strip during application, the best thing you can do is to easily pull the strip of the treads and place back the strip prefending from bubbles to appear again.
When the surface is to cold to apply the strip on, an idea is to use an aluminium strip. Apply the rubber non-slip adhesive strip on the aluminium strip in a warm environment and later apply the aluminium strip onto your treads.